Operations Bulletin 090315

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bulletin archive

Week commencing 2nd March 2015
Task Areas
General updates

Tuesday 10th March

  • CERN computing seminars.
  • Status of WNs in CVMFS
  • Suggestion to write actions to Vidyo chat window
  • Problem with dashboards – following announced GOCDB changes last week.

Tuesday 3rd March

  • There was an EGI OMB last Thursday. Highlights for awareness:
    • EGI core activities to be reviewed for next phase.
    • EGI provides a catch-all CA; Request to register iRODS endpoints in GOCDB; EU Brazil Cloud Connect mentioned; May conference registrationopen. Next OMB 26th March.
    • Check the status of multi-core publishing.
    • New release of ops portal coming 16th March. See Schedule and version 3.1.2 changes.
    • New performance documents. QoS; ROD; Availability/Reliability.
    • Security: FedCloud survey done. EGI-CSIRT collaboarating with FedCloud. Security challenges coming - communications one done; next pull in payload and assess capabilities. Also looking at VM incident handling.
    • ARGO monitoring: Modular architecture. Example deployment models given for EGI/VO/NGI. Uses message brokering - between collectors and review engine. Listed advantages over ACE. Problems with SAM Nagios given (e.g. effort to upgrade, support). ARGO is SAM refactored (no heavy DB). -> Need a UK view on this as being pushed for EGI-Engage.
    • VO SLAs: to clarify expectations. Some updates including FedCloud inclusion.
    • EGI Engagement (strategy): Call for unfunded partners to join core competency centres: BBMRI, DARIAH, EISCAT_3D, ELIXIR, EPOS, INSTRUCT, LifeWatch & Disaster mitigation.
    • New infrastructures in preparatory project phase: MIRRI – microbal resources; EuroDISH – food, nutrition, diseases; ISBE – systems biology. Opportunities for national engagement: EMBRC: Marine biological resource centre (... + UK); ERINHA: Highly Pathogenic Agents (...+ UK); Euro-BioImaging (...+ UK & EMBL).INSTRUCT: Structural biology (many countries). CLARIN (call out).
    • Genome analysis & protein folding pilot ongoing: Chipster, RSAT, READemption.
    • Ongoing integration of ELIXIR reference datasets into EGI. Several use-cases for FedCloud mentioned (any more sites want to join?)
  • Preliminary agendas are available for the pre-GDB and GDB.
  • The deadline for CHEP registrations is 15th March. (Bulletins)

Tuesday 24th February

WLCG Operations Coordination - Agendas

Monday 9th March

  • There was a WLCG ops meeting on Thursday: Agenda | Minutes.
  • In summary:
    • News: Looking at survey – GDB & Workshop.
    • M/W news: Baselines – new FTS 3.3.32 (shares fix).
    • M/W issues: RAL problem upgrading gfal2 in WN ( conflict with gfal). New vulnerability (SSL).
    • T0/T1 services: Various FTS and SE upgrades at CERN, RAL and BNL...
    • Question about WN and UI status and maintenance wrt CVMFS.
    • T0 news: LHCb LFC migration fine. Checking who uses LFC. VOMS-admin in place - some issues require follow-up.
    • T1/T2: NTR
    • ALICE: High activity. T1/T2 workshop. Some VOMS-admin problems.
    • ATLAS: Taking cosmics. MC15 started (consider start of Run2). Care with maintenance requested. Transatlantic link problems encountered.
    • CMS: Taking cosmics. Moderate load. Tier-1 tape tests continue. VOMRS migration in progress. Migration to a single global Condor pool for Analysis and Production (For T2s: 80% VOMS pilot; 10% VOMS production; 10% other).
    • LHCb: "Run1 Legacy stripping" finished. Some VOMRS migration issues. LFC to DFC migration done.
    • glexec: Panda campaign at 63 sites (+9)
    • RFC proxies: Presentation at GDB. Checking experiment usage. SAM-Nagios fix easy. Default later this year.
    • MJ features: NTR
    • M/W readiness: Recent Storm/dCache/DPM validations done, more happening. ARC-CE tests for CMS in preparation. Next meeting 18th March.
    • Multicore: Main objectives achieved. Entering 'passive' mode.
    • IPv6: NTR
    • Squid proxy & http proxy discovery: NTR
    • Network & transfers WG: [(https://indico.cern.ch/event/372546/ Meeting 18th Feb]. Deadline for 3.4.1 passed. Campaign to correct some configurations. Testbed for 3.4.2rc. New meshes (inc. IPv6). Testing and evaluation of the pilot instances for esmond/maddash ongoing. Production instance: psomd.grid.iu.edu. LHCb pilot project to provide experiment agnostic prototype to access central datastore (esmond). Extending ATLAS FTS performance study to CMS and LHCb. Next meeting 18th March.
    • Temporary ATLAS solution has been found to publish the HTCondor CEs in the BDII and OIM in a way that satisfies both ATLAS and SAM needs.
    • Next meeting 19th March.

Monday 2nd March

  • There is a WLCG ops meeting coming up this Thursday. Any T1/T2 issues?
  • There was a perfSONAR data extraction meeting today.

Tier-1 - Status Page

Tuesday 3rd March

  • The problems with our primary network router are still being followed up. We have a spare switch and plan to try this out early on Thursday morning (5th March). An 'At Risk' has been declared in the GOC DB.
  • Also on Thursday morning there will be an upgrade of the FTS3 service (to version v3.2.32).
  • Last Tuesday we moved a number of Castor disk servers physically within the machine room. This was required to make space for part of the new deliveries.
  • On Wednesday next week (11th March) we plan to update the firmware in our network switches to fix a problem of periodic reboots.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Tuesday 3rd March

  • DiRAC FS backup to RAL (and UCL) very likely to go ahead. GridPP encourages support from co-located sysadmins to help setup transfers... but first there needs to be a discussion of how the data will be handled. More soon.

Monday 23rd February

  • From February 17th expect xrootd version 4 will be added to the EPEL repository. Update not transparent if xrootd supported.

Tuesday 17th February

  • Chris suggests linking the WebDav page from the storage wiki.

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Tuesday 24th February

  • UKI-SOUTHGRID-SUSX now highlighted as not publishing for 3 months.
Documentation - KeyDocs

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Tuesday 3rd March

  • Proposals for about 4 keydocs to be removed/downgraded. For discussion at next core-ops or focus meeting.

Tuesday 24th February

Tuesday 17th February

  • KeyDocs review continues. Deadline for removals requests 25th February.

Tuesday 10th February

  • Survey of KeyDocs has started. If you own a document please take note. Documents remaining after this exercise will need to be brought fully up-to-date.
  • A reminder that Steve created this Current Activities capture page. Only ARGUS at the moment!?
  • See also the documents from Tom linked in the 'Other VOs' section.

Tuesday 3 Feb

  • New section in Wiki called "Project Management Pages".
The idea is to cluster all Self-Edited Site Tracking Tables
in here. Sites should keep entries in Current Activities
up to date. Once a Self-Edited Site Tracking Tables has
served its purpose, PM to move it to  Historical Archive 
or otherwise dispose of the table.
Interoperation - EGI ops agendas

Monday 9th February

  • The agenda for February's EGI ops meeting is here.
    • Argus PAP update (1.6.2) out imminently. This should fix the SSL problems for sites affected after a java update. Hopefully this will solve Raul's problems in his ticket 111505.
    • Other update notifications include APEL 1.4.0 (with a bunch of new features), Storm 1.11.6, UNICORE v7.2.0 and a new version of Globus in EPEL testing. UMD release 3.11.0 being prepared.
    • Multicore republishing was discussed - if sites need to republish multicore data previously parsed as single core then they need to reparse the logs. Any site wanting to republish is asked to submit a ticket to apel support first.
    • Operational issues were discussed whereby sites saw problems running ARGUS and CREAM on the same node, special care is taken if you want to take this mad path. See tickets 111464 and 111373.
    • The decommissioning of the EMI2 APEL service and the UMD repositories was mentioned.
    • Sites are advised to avoid using MySQL v.5.0 where possible.
    • A comment was passed that the EPEL5 repository was becoming harder to keep up to date, bringing the effective EOL of SL5 closer for the community
      • SL7 is a topic that still needs to be discussed in earnest in this forum.
    • Next meeting is March 9th - effort to keep the number of meetings down.

Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Monday 7th December

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

Monday 23rd February

  • Another quiet week.
  • Gordon -> Andrew

Monday 16th February

  • Uneventful week. Nothing to report to ops meeting.
Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Tuesday 17th February

  • A message from Maria Dimou: A request to you and the sites you collaborate with, to please install the MW Package Reporter.

The current version, documented in the wiki , it is very easy to install and addresses all site and security requirements.

  • Quick check on: 1. ARC CE readiness testing. 2. Machine job features testing.

Tuesday 20th January

  • From Cristina's GDB talk last week note that EMI repositories will be frozen and the product team releases will become UMD-preview (repository content and webpages similar but now managed).


Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 24th February

  • Tracking approvals in GOCDB.
  • EGI SVG Advisory - dCache vulnerability for some access methods [SVG EGI-SVG-2015-8183]
  • New security officer starts this week!

Tuesday 17th February

  • The IGTF is about to release (23/2) an update to the trust anchor repository (1.62)

Services - PerfSonar dashboard | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update). Tuesday 10th March

  • From the recent WLCG meeting, two slides (1 & 2) give the direction of the network monitoring and metrics progress: integration of perfSONAR event types into experiment monitoring and an architecture for data to get from RSV probes to client. Components described on slide 3.

Tuesday 3rd March

Tuesday 3rd February

Tuesday 20th January


Tuesday 3rd March

Concentrating on pre-2015 tickets this week in an attempt to Spring Clean the UK ggus presence. I will review these again next week - can people please take a look at these tickets if they're owned by them (or if they think they can help!).

SUSSEX - 26/11/14
This is a perfsonar ticket - the initial request (reinstalling the perfsonar node) has been done a while ago but things weren't quite right. Matt RB did some soothing to this last week and asks if he's missed anything - I put it to waiting for reply this morning. Waiting for reply (24/2)

QMUL - 25/11/14
Atlas wanting https access on QM's SE. Dan's been working on this nicely, carefully testing each stage of his rollout. The end is in sight here. In progress (17/2)

TIER 1 - 28/10/14
This is a SNO+ ticket about getting gfal tools working for the Tier 1 - with the new version out Brian has tested it correctly (and I saw a related thread on lcg-rollout) - but no word from Sno+. Who is wrangling the other VOs in these post-Walker times? Waiting for reply (24/2)

TIER 1 - 1/10/14
A CMS access about AAA tests at the Tier 1. This ticket is being actively worked on, with a new xrootd redirector at RAL and problems with the EU redirectors mucking things up. No problems that I can see. Waiting for reply (2/3)

100IT - 10/9/14
Getting VMcatcher stuff to work at 100IT. This ticket seems to keep stalling due to lack of documentation or replies from the submitters. Waiting for reply (19/1)

LANCASTER - 27/1/14
Lancaster's poor perfsonar performance. Being poked and prodded on and off over the last year, but the problems remain a mystery - Ewan's lending of a iperf endpoint has helped out greatly though, waiting on yet another network tweak. On Hold (23/2)

EFDA-JET - 21/9/13
LHCB job failures at EFDA-JET. The causes of this remain a mystery, and is the first ticket on my "to be set to unsolved" list.

UCL - 1/7/13
UCL's glexec ticket. Ben's been working hard at this recently, but keeps hitting show stoppers - the latest being a performance problem possibly due to the VM he's running argus on. On hold (19/2)

ECDF and LANCASTER - 1/7/13
95303 (ECDF)
95299 (Lancaster)
glexec for the tarball. This is *still* waiting on the tarball glexec, which is again waiting on me, which is waiting on me magicking some extra tarball development time. Will be reviewed by the end of March.

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

Tuesday 17th February

  • Another period where message brokers were temporarily unavailable seen yesterday. Any news on the last follow-up?

Tuesday 27th January

  • Unscheduled outage of the EGI message broker (GRNET) caused a short-lived disruption to GridPP site monitoring (jobs failed) last Thursday 22nd January. Suspect BDII caching meant no immediate failover to stomp://mq.cro-ngi.hr:6163/ from stomp://mq.afroditi.hellasgrid.gr:6163/

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table

Tuesday 17th February Two changes to approved VOs (https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/GridPP_approved_VOs)

  • LSST uses port 15003 (had been 15002, clashing with dzero)
  • t2k has included a note that it';s software is now distrinuted via CVMFS.

Tuesday 17th February

  • Some interest from UK LIGO users. Catalin setting up CVMFS. Issue with VOMS. "Our users have access to CILogon basic CA certificates, which I understand can in principal be entered into VOMS to provide a VO identity."

Tuesday 10th February

  • There is now a Quick Guide to CVMFS.
  • Part of Tom's quick guide series! There is also a Quick Guide to DIRAC.
  • Feedback on both welcome... on the CVMFS front some mapping issues for regional VOs are being examined.
  • GalDyn (UCLan galaxy simulations): test jobs have been submitted via DIRAC; now moving onto data storage testing via the official DIRAC tutorials.
  • CERN@school has its first student on the grid with a grid certificate! LUCID data arriving.
  • The CERN VM mechanism looks like it could provide an interesting way for new users to get a grid-ready UI by installing VirtualBox (or similar), downloading the CERN VM image, and applying a GridPP-specific context.

Site Updates

Tuesday 24th February

  • Next review of status today.

Tuesday 27th January

  • Squids not in GOCDB for: UCL; ECDF; Birmingham; Durham; RHUL; IC; Sussex; Lancaster
  • Squids in GOCDB for: EFDA-JET; Manchester; Liverpool; Cambridge; Sheffield; Bristol; Brunel; QMUL; T1; Oxford; Glasgow; RALPPD.

Tuesday 2nd December

  • Multicore status. Queues available (63%)
    • YES: RAL T1; Brunel; Imperial; QMUL; Lancaster; Liverpool; Manchester; Glasgow; Cambridge; Oxford; RALPP; Sussex (12)
    • NO: RHUL (testing); UCL; Sheffield (testing); Durham; ECDF (testing); Birmingham; Bristol (7)
  • According to our table for cloud/VMs (26%)
    • YES: RAL T1; Brunel; Imperial; Manchester; Oxford (5)
    • NO: QMUL; RHUL; UCL; Lancaster; Liverpool; Sheffield; Durham; ECDF; Glasgow; Birmingham; Bristol; Cambridge; RALPP; Sussex (14)
  • GridPP DIRAC jobs successful (58%)
    • YES: Bristol; Glasgow; Lancaster; Liverpool; Manchester; Oxford; Sheffield; Brunel; IC; QMUL; RHUL (11)
    • NO: Cambridge; Durham; RALPP; RAL T1 (4) + ECDF; Sussex; UCL; Birmingham (4)
  • IPv6 status
    • Allocation - 42%
    • YES: RAL T1; Brunel; IC; QMUL; Manchester; Sheffield; Cambridge; Oxford (8)
    • NO: RHUL; UCL; Lancaster; Liverpool; Durham; ECDF; Glasgow; Birmingham; Bristol; RALPP; Sussex
  • Dual stack nodes - 21%
    • YES: Brunel; IC; QMUL; Oxford (4)
    • NO: RHUL; UCL; Lancaster; Glasgow; Liverpool; Manchester; Sheffield; Durham; ECDF; Birmingham; Bristol; Cambridge; RALPP; Sussex, RAL T1 (15)

Tuesday 21st October

  • High loads seen in xroot by several sites: Liverpool and RALT1... and also Bristol (see Luke's TB-S email on 16/10 for questions about changes to help).

Tuesday 9th September

  • Intel announced the new generation of Xeon based on Haswell.

Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Wednesday 4th March 2015

  • Operations report
  • Plan to swap out problematic Tier1 network router early tomorrow (Thursday) morning. We remain in contact with the vendor.
  • FTS3 update tomorrow (Thursday) late morning.
  • Harware deliveries are ongoing.
  • The Castor Team plan to upgrade to version 2.1.14-15 ahead of migrating to the next version of the Oracle database.
WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A