Operations Bulletin Latest

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bulletin archive

Week commencing Monday 2nd July 2018
Task Areas
General updates

Monday 2nd July

Monday 25th June

Monday 11th June

  • There is a pre-GDB Tuesday on benchmarking.
  • There is a June GDB on Wednesday.
  • HEPSYSMAN is next week 18th-19th June - so no ops meeting next Tuesday.
  • Winnie – 8th June problem with argo-mon.egi.eu
  • Progress towards running LSST DESC data challenge on GridPP. Lack of multicore option in DIRAC for per VO basis.
  • DPM 1.10.2 update issue
  • dCache and IPv6: GridFTP doors and pools require that if a client can connect to an IPv6 address on an interface, that interface should also have an IPv4 address to which that client can connect.
  • Brian: requested input last week to Hardware for Grid SE page.
  • Of note: VO vo.geoss.eu status from Pending to Production
  • APEL: delay in processing VM accounting records and new cloud data appearing in the Portal during the week of the 11th to 15th June. This is so that the APEL Repository can be updated to correctly assign the usage VMs incur to individual months when they run over month boundaries (i.e. long running VMs). This requires reloading a large volume of existing cloud accounting data once the update has been applied.
  • May A/R (waiting for replies to 6th June request):
    • ALICE All OK
    • Atlas RHUL 81% Lanc 86%
    • LHCB RHUL 76% Bristol 74% (Availability only)
    • CMS Bristol 77%
  • WLCG weekly ops meeting minutes from Monday 11th.
  • Today there are issues affecting the databases that GOCDB relies on, leading to very slow responses through the portal and API.
WLCG Operations Coordination - AgendasWiki Page

Monday 25th June

Monday 16th April

  • There was a meeting on 12th. Agenda | Minutes.
    • Balazs Konya is new in the role of WLCG Middleware Officer.
    • Next meeting 7th June.
    • Delay for submission of GGUS tickets for recalculation should be respected. It is 10 days after monthly drafts of the availability reports are sent around by WLCG project office. If the GGUS tickets are not submitted respecting 10 days delay, they are not accepted.
    • A/R recalculations will be accepted if they are relevant to the site MoU commitment or concern time ranges of sufficient length.

Monday 5th March

  • The agenda and minutes from the WLCG ops coordination meeting last week are available.
  • Special topics were: CNAF recovery update; SAM recalculation policy draft discussion and Progress on WLCG Storage Space Accounting Prototype including tape metrics.

Tuesday 27th February

Tier-1 - Status Page

Tue 25 June Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (02/07/2018) is here.

  • ADVANCE WARNING : There is currently a scheduled three day period (July 24th - July 26th), where RAL Tier-1 will be undertaking server room circuit breaker testing. Although it is believed that these tests should not effect our services, such is the nature of these tests all Tier-1 production services should be considered "At Risk" during this time. All VOs are asked to give consideration with respect to possible unexpected outage to any high priority/critical jobs they may wish to run during this period.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Wed 13 June

  • Future directions for T2s with DPM?
  • Assessing storage requirements for IRIS

Wed 06 June

  • Report from DPM workshop

Wed 30 May

  • Problems with deep vs shallow checksums in implementations - does the system present the checksum the data has or the checksum it thinks the data should have?
  • IPv6 use - how to ensure IPv6 only transfers

Wed 16 May

  • Operational issues some of which at least are due to timeouts hardwired in the system.
  • Report on CERN data lakes - still lots of questions, though. Maybe if we could try it out?

Wed 02 May

  • DPM DOME discussion... will Glasgow (or someone else) volunteer to test before DPM workshop?
  • Storage agenda for HEPiX
Tier-2 Evolution - GridPP JIRA

Tuesday 3rd July"

  • "Universal" DIRAC VMs deployed in production for GridPP DIRAC and LHCb

Tuesday 26th Jun

  • LHCb Docker containers in production testing at Manchester
  • "Universal" DIRAC VMs for LHCb and GridPP in production testing at Manchester
  • These VMs include a fix for the LZ GFAL problems

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Tuesday 6th February

Tuesday 30th January

Tuesday 24th Oct

Monday 16th January

  • The discussion topic for next week will be accounting comparisons. Please note Alessandra's comments last week.

Monday 14th November

  • Alessandra has written an FAQ to extract numbers from ATLAS and APEL avoiding the SSB.

Monday 26th September

  • A problem with the APEL Pub and Sync tests developed last Tuesday and was resolved on Wednesday. This had a temporary impact on the accounting portal.
Documentation - KeyDocs

Tuesday 11th June 2018

Steve Jones is updating the User Guide with various mods that have cropped up since Tom Whyntie left (pending permission to edit GridPP website docs...)

Tuesday 11th June 2018

Approved VOs now contains two new SKA VOMS servers (at Oxford and Imperial, as well as Manchester).


Tuesday 8th May 2018

  • Updating GridPP website certificate to avoid Chrome warnings

General note

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Interoperation - EGI ops agendas Indico schedule

Monday 2nd July

Monday 11th June

  • Meeting agenda : [1]
  • Upcoming releases relevant to UK sites
    • gfal2 major release(2.5.4)
    • Arc 5.4.2
  • Yearly review of information in GOCDB. UK ticket status is in progress. Should each site update the ticket?
  • Sites can enable ARGO notification through GOCDB. It can be done at site level or at the service level
  • Final call for WMS decommission. No UK WMS is in the list.
  • WebDav probes will be added to ARGO_MON_CRITICAL profile which means that unavailability of webdav will be added to A/R figures. All UK endpoints are passing the test at the moment
  • Next meeting 9th July

Monday 14th May

  • Next meeting June 11th

Tuesday 24th April

  • The next EGI OMB is on 3rd May

Tuesday 6/3

Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Tuesday 4th July

  • There were a number of useful links provided in the monitoring talks at the WLCG workshop in Manchester - especially those in the Wednesday sessions.

Monday 13th February

  • This category is pretty much inactive. Are there any topics under "monitoring" that anyone wants reported at this ops meeting? If not we will remove this section from the regular updates area of the bulletin and just leave the main links.

Tuesday 1st December

Tuesday 16th June

  • F Melaccio & D Crooks decided to add a FAQs section devoted to common monitoring issues under the monitoring page.
  • Feedback welcome.

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

Tuesday 12th June

  • Four availability tickets still open. One ticket on hold at RAL as they are figuring out that how to deal with castor publishing issue.
  • Dashboard struggled during the week and it was slow but now it seems to be OK.
  • One Bristol ticket got stuck in weird state where it can not be deleted from dashboard although it has been solved.

Monday 21st May

Monday 5th March

  • AM->GS. A quiet week last week.

Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Monday 20th November

Historical References

Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 26th June

  • CSIRT F2F took place last week (18th-20th June) hosted by David Crooks at Glasgow Agenda

Monday 25th June

  • EGI IGTF CA update, version 1.92-1 ticket created EGI 14423

Tuesday 5th June

  • Advisory update
  • David now in post
  • Meeting scheduled for this afternoon

Tuesday 15th May

  • Meeting scheduled for this afternoon

Tuesday 8th May

  • EGI IGTF CA update, version 1.91-1 ticket created [EGI #14315]

Monday 30th April

  • (David) Any feedback from the EOSC security communications meeting?

Tuesday 24th April

Tuesday 20th March

Communication challenge took place on Wednesday 14th March.

Services - PerfSonar production dashboard |PerfSonar development dashboard | OSG Networking and perfSONAR pages | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update).

Monday 2nd July

Monday 30th April

Monday 19th February

Please could sites upgrade their perfsonar hosts to CentOS7. Instructions are here. Current OS versions here.

  • Duncan has recreated the UK perfSONAR mesh. Link here!


Monday 2nd July 2018, 15.00 BST
33 Open UK Tickets this month.

IPv6 Tickets (14)
SUSSEX: 131617
RALPP: 131616
OXFORD: 131615
BRISTOL: 131613
GLASGOW: 131611
ECDF: 131610
DURHAM: 131609
UCL: 131604
RHUL: 131603

Oxford, Bristol, Sheffield, UCL and maybe Glasgow's tickets are all a little stale. The RALPP, Manchester and RHUL tickets really need an update due to various reasons.

Regular Tickets.

135618 (11/6)
CMS SAM test stageout failure. Last update from Friday things are waiting for the site-local-config to be changed, which is in hand. In progress (29/6)

134820 (29/4)
CMS DDM quota ticket - after a long while CMS provided some feedback as to what they would like their quotas adjusted to. After this is done then hopefuly this ticket can be closed. In progress (26/6)

129930 (4/8/17)
The "atlas http SAM test" ticket soon to be rendered moot by the deployment of EOS at the site. The ticket could do with a progress update, in part to see if you need atlas to do anything. On hold (23/4)

134689 (23/4)
Perfsonar upgrade ticket. 4.1 is due out this quarter I believe, so the anointed time to upgrade will soon be upon you. On hold (24/4)

135621 (12/6)
Atlas deletion errors, much discussed. I agree that the site cannot do much, we'll need to keep pressure on the VO to fix things. In progress (21/6)

135404 (30/5)
Low availability ROD ticket. The last week's looking green, so it's just a waiting game. On hold (28/6)

134687 (23/4)
Request to upgrade the perfsonar host to Centos 7. Set in progress but no news on this for a while. Could do with an update (even if it's just to take the Glasgow-stance). In progress (30/4)

134947 (4/5)
Atlas transfers timing out. I believe Elena rolled out the gSOAP fix for the original issue, so it looks like a fresh cause of errors has popped up - checking the monitoring they're still there at at a rate of a few hundred a day. Reopened (11/6) Update - solved with a DB cleanup.

135851 (28/6)
T2K having trouble downloading files from Sheffield. It turns out that the files have disappeared from the site. The VO has offered to close the ticket, but it's a good idea to suggest that they delete these entries from their LFC first (if they haven't already). In progress (30/6)

135852 (29/6)
A ticket assigned on Friday, atlas complaining that deletions aren't working. I suspect a fallen over httpd daemon. Assigned (29/6) Update - solved. The second pass of the automatic httpd restarter fixed things.

134686 (23/4)
I am once again regretting not spinning these off into their own list - another request to upgrade the site perfsonar hosts. No news since it since the ticket was acknowledged. On hold (23/4)

134573 (17/4)
CMS request to install Singularity, on hold until the site's C7 upgrade. On hold (17/4)

132929 (18/1)
CMS spotting APEL problems. The ticket's been quiet for a bit, is there a conversation with the APEL devs happening along a different channel? In progress (10/5)

135871 (1/7)
LHCB have noticed a black hole node gobbling up pilots at Brunel. Assigned (1/7) Solved by offlining the bad node.

133956 (9/3)
CMS xroot config ticket. CMS would like to know if there's any progress? In progress (15/6)

135786 (22/6)
A simple availability ticket, made a bit horrid by all the auto-replies from the 100IT helpdesk system. On hold (28/6)

134685 (23/4)
The last of the requests to upgrade the perfsonar hosts. Last update was positive. In progress (11/6)

135822 (26/6)
CMS jobs seeing file read problems. Quite a complex issue, but it looks to be a problem with singularity and bind paths - a corresponding singularity issue has been opened (here). In progress (29/6)

124876 (7/11/16)
The oldest ticket, this ROD ticket for ECHO was waiting on the tests to be fixed. As seen in the now solved (125026) it looks like things should work (or at least be able to be made to work). But it requires some setup at the site tweaking the SE_PATH, this is underway. Reopened (28/6)

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

Monday 20th November

Tuesday 18th July

  • Following our ops discussion last week, Steve will focus his tests on supporting the GridPP DIRAC area and decommission the other tests.

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table

Monday 20th November

  • Tom Whyntie has requested (and been granted) access to the GridPP VO to get some pipelines working for large-scale processing and analysis of MRI scans associated with the UK Biobank project.
  • All VOs in the incubation page being prompted for updates by the end of November (required input for OC documents).
  • QMUL (Steve L) is following up on the biomed MoU. GridPP want to be cited in research papers for the support our resources/sites provide.

Site Updates


Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Highlights from this meeting are now included in the Tier1 report farther up this page.

WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A