Difference between revisions of "Operations Bulletin Latest"

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 141: Line 141:
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- ***********************Start T1 text*********************** ----->
<!-- ***********************Start T1 text*********************** ----->
'''12th February 2019''' Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (11/02/2019) is [https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Tier1_Operations_Report_2019-02-18 here].
'''19th February 2019''' Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (18/02/2019) is [https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Tier1_Operations_Report_2019-02-18 here].
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- **********************End T1 text************************** ----->
<!-- **********************End T1 text************************** ----->

Revision as of 10:12, 19 February 2019

Bulletin archive

Week commencing Monday 18th February 2019
Task Areas
General updates

Monday 18th February 2019

Tuesday 12th February

  • DPM release - 1.11
  • Approved VOs: changes to BIOMED and ENMR
  • Simon: VAC with VM condor VM to support local batch jobs?
  • There is a GDB this week - agenda.
  • NGI Argus/Central Banning config (see DC message).
  • There was a WLCG ops meeting yesterday. Minutes are available.
  • HOW19 registration (early bird rate has ended). HSF-OSG-WLCG joint workshop.
  • A/R explanations for January: QMUL power outage; Bham now on EOS so SE tests fail; ECDF 80% LHCb??

Tuesday 5th February

  • The EGI RP/RC A/R Report for January 2019 is available. UKI overall fine. Bham and RAL-LCG2 may wish to examine their results.
  • A reminder.... Please could everyone think about their WLCG (and beyond) engagements and commitments and put anything of note in the wiki table here.
  • Notes from yesterday's WLCG ops meeting are available. Issues at RAL noted by LHCb.
  • It is CMS week this week.
  • In case missed here is Elena's ATLAS update:
    • https://ggus.eu/index.php?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=138033: singularity jobs failing at RAL. A job that Alessandra submitted still has a problem with the home directory. Ral is trying to fix it.
    • There was a power lost to a rack and the two storage nodes in it in Lancaster over weekend which cause a problem to ATLAS jobs. This was fixed on Monday.
    • Raul asked for srmless atlas transfers for Brunel. Elena is changing transfer configuration in AGIS but the jobs are still failing. Peter will look into this.
    • There was a discussion on lightweight ATLAS Grid sites @ADC weekly last week. Sheffield, Cambridge, Brunel, Durham, Bham and Sussex should become diskless sites.
  • There is an ongoing discussion about LSST jobs on GridPP resources that may be of wider interest. Their VOMS was down so the question was raised about using GridPP VOMS or setting up another VOMS in the UK to read its data from the SLAC instance.
  • The 9th DIRAC Users Workshop will be held in London 14. - 17. May 2019. Here is the registration link.
  • December's WLCG A/R final report is available at via this link.
  • The figures for January 2019 are now available and updates from 3 sites requested:
  • Simon G asks: VAC with VM condor VM to support local batch jobs? Has anyone done it??
  • EGI has started an HTCondor integration process and captures progress here: https://ggus.eu/index.php?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=139377.
  • End of Support for CREAM-CE: The CREAM working group has announced that official support for the CREAM-CE component will cease at the end of the EOSC-hub project, i.e. in Dec 2020. The CREAM working group will be providing full support until the end of 2019, including one minor release already scheduled. During 2020 only security updates will be released.

WLCG Operations Coordination - AgendasWiki Page

Monday 11th February 2019

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting last Thursday. You can view the meeting notes here.
    • End of CREAM support Dec 2020.
    • Migration from CREAM to be discussed at the EGI conference 6-8 of May in Amsterdam.
    • Operational intelligence discussion (see slides).
    • Experiment updates (see ATLAS discussion on DOMA)
    • WG updates (few).

Monday 10th December

  • WLCG ops coordination meeting held Thursday 6th. minutes.
    • IPv6 deployment update
    • CentOS / CC7 timelines for lxbatch and lxplus
    • Container WG update
    • CREAM CE end of support is Dec 2020
  • Next meeting 7th February 2019.

Tuesday 4th December

Tuesday 30th October

  • The ops meeting is shifting to the 8th November.

Tuesday 16th October

  • There was an ops coordination meeting on 11th October: Agenda/slides | Minutes.
  • Next meeting is on 1st November.

Monday 8th October

  • There will be an Ops Coordination meeting this Thursday 12th: Agenda.

Monday 17th September

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting last Thursday. The minutes are now available and the presentations uploaded to this agenda page.
  • Highlights:
    • A report on EOS incidents, improvements and plans
    • DPM Storage Resource Reporting deployment TF introduction
    • CMS CRIC is deployed in production
    • Sites should upgrade perfSONAR to v4.1 on CentOS 7
    • The next meeting is planned for 11th October.

Tier-1 - Status Page

19th February 2019 Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (18/02/2019) is here.

  • ARC-CE upgrades are continuing. ARC-CE04 and ARC-CE05 have now been upgraded and have been returned to production status. ARC-03 is currently being drained prior to upgrade and ARC-CE02 and ARC-CE01 will follow after that.
  • Echo experienced several thousand slow/blocked/stuck requests early Sunday morning (17/02/19). There were a large number of call-outs for an approximately 1 hour period (starting ~01:30). It is currently suspected that there was internal RAL "network weirdness". The investigation of this issue is continuing.
  • Over the weekend CASTOR experienced a disproportionately large number of transfer requests from clients based at CERN. Although CASTOR wobbled a bit it didn't die however performance was impacted. The investigation into this issue is ongoing.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Wed 13 Feb

  • A summary of the summary of the summary of the Cloud Workshop at Crick
  • FTS bug causing files to disappear!

Wed 23 Jan

  • TLA-approved writeup
  • More on data lakes

Wed 16 Jan

  • Checksums for T2K missing?
  • Updated data lakes discussion document (CERN flavour)

Wed 09 Jan

  • GridPP quarterly and targets for the next six or so months
Tier-2 Evolution - GridPP JIRA

Monday 14th January

  • Separate problems with LHCb and ATLAS VM definitions being investigated

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Tuesday 6th February

Tuesday 30th January

Tuesday 24th Oct

Monday 16th January

  • The discussion topic for next week will be accounting comparisons. Please note Alessandra's comments last week.

Monday 14th November

  • Alessandra has written an FAQ to extract numbers from ATLAS and APEL avoiding the SSB.

Monday 26th September

  • A problem with the APEL Pub and Sync tests developed last Tuesday and was resolved on Wednesday. This had a temporary impact on the accounting portal.
Documentation - KeyDocs

Tuesday 12th Feb 2019 Documentation done for HTCondor-CE apel accounting. https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/HtCondorCeAccounting

Tuesday 12th Feb 2019 New CA DN for Biomed


Tuesday 5th Feb 2019 For enmr, certificate of voms-02.pd.infn.it

New DN: /DC=org/DC=terena/DC=tcs/C=IT/L=Frascati/O=Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare/CN=voms-02.pd.infn.it, New CA_DN: /C=NL/ST=Noord-Holland/L=Amsterdam/O=TERENA/CN=TERENA eScience SSL CA 3

Please check approved VOs: https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/GridPP_approved_VOs

General note

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Interoperation - EGI ops agendas Indico schedule

Tuesday 12th February

  • There was an EGI ops meeting yesterday - Agenda. We were asked to review the IPv6 readiness information (see here). We should perhaps link in the GridPP IPv6 table for updates status.

Friday 1st February

Thursday 17th January EGI OMB meeting

  • CREAMCE to be out of support by Dec 2020
  • More effort to fix accounting issue of HTCondor CE

Monday 14th January 2019

  • No UK specific issue mentioned.
  • IPv6 readiness plan is going to be summarized at OMB.


Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Tuesday 4th July

  • There were a number of useful links provided in the monitoring talks at the WLCG workshop in Manchester - especially those in the Wednesday sessions.

Monday 13th February

  • This category is pretty much inactive. Are there any topics under "monitoring" that anyone wants reported at this ops meeting? If not we will remove this section from the regular updates area of the bulletin and just leave the main links.

Tuesday 1st December

Tuesday 16th June

  • F Melaccio & D Crooks decided to add a FAQs section devoted to common monitoring issues under the monitoring page.
  • Feedback welcome.

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

Tuesday 5th February

  • Birmingham decommissioning of SRM and BDII still going on so tickets are on hold.
  • Few availability tickets on hold
  • Lancaster has WebDav ticket on hold which seems to be effect of DOME rollout

Tuesday 14th August

  • A couple of new availability tickets (QMUL and Lancaster), both for well-publicised reasons. Otherwise quiet. AM on shift this week.

Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Monday 20th November

Historical References

Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 12th February

  • Argus Central Banning "Review" ongoing, see David's email to security-discussion. Don't let James onto your clusters! :-)
  • WLCG SOC Meeting next week (19th-21st), planned to be broadcast over Vidyo. The first session is particularly geared towards newcomers:: https://indico.cern.ch/event/775579/overview

Tuesday 29th January

  • Current status

Services - PerfSonar production dashboard |PerfSonar ETF | OSG Networking and perfSONAR pages | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update).

Monday 10th September

Monday 2nd July

Monday 30th April

Monday 19th February

Please could sites upgrade their perfsonar hosts to CentOS7. Instructions are here. Current OS versions here.

  • Duncan has recreated the UK perfSONAR mesh. Link here!

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

Monday 20th November

Tuesday 18th July

  • Following our ops discussion last week, Steve will focus his tests on supporting the GridPP DIRAC area and decommission the other tests.

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table

Monday 20th November

  • Tom Whyntie has requested (and been granted) access to the GridPP VO to get some pipelines working for large-scale processing and analysis of MRI scans associated with the UK Biobank project.
  • All VOs in the incubation page being prompted for updates by the end of November (required input for OC documents).
  • QMUL (Steve L) is following up on the biomed MoU. GridPP want to be cited in research papers for the support our resources/sites provide.

Site Updates


Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Highlights from this meeting are now included in the Tier1 report farther up this page.

WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A