Difference between revisions of "Operations Bulletin Latest"

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 34: Line 34:
** The link can also be found via the [https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/Resource_Centres_OLA_and_Resource_infrastructure_Provider_OLA_reports OLA reports page].  
** The link can also be found via the [https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/Resource_Centres_OLA_and_Resource_infrastructure_Provider_OLA_reports OLA reports page].  
* GPU queues. We had a query on GridPP-Support about sites providing these queues and how to use them. Help requested.
* GPU queues. We had a query on GridPP-Support about sites providing these queues and how to use them. Help requested.
* Today pre-GDB on singularity https://indico.cern.ch/event/578972/

Revision as of 10:08, 11 July 2017

Bulletin archive

Week commencing Monday 10th July 2017
Task Areas
General updates

Monday 10th July

  • The EGI RP/RC A/R Report for June 2017 is available on the following link.
  • GPU queues. We had a query on GridPP-Support about sites providing these queues and how to use them. Help requested.
  • Today pre-GDB on singularity https://indico.cern.ch/event/578972/

Monday 3rd July

  • July 2017 GDB and pre-GDB. Draft agenda available. Container technologies working group pre-GDB contact Gavin McCance to get involved.
  • Winnie: Do sites need lcg-CA installed?
  • EGI: Usage of ops VO. Is anyone still using it for UK tests?
  • June T2 reports:
    • ALICE
      • All okay.
    • ATLAS
      • Lancaster: 84%:85%
    • CMS
      • All okay
    • LHCb
      • Lancaster: 83%:84%
      • Oxford: 70%:100%
  • The agenda of the WLCG ops meeting held on Monday is available.

Monday 26th June

  • GOCDB has received a new service type request for: ‘eu.egi.storage.accounting’: - authorising the site/SE to publish the storage accounting data - making the site/SE appear in the portal - monitoring that the accounting data are regularly published.
  • The registration to the next LHCOPN/LHCONE meeting is now open. LHCONE meeting agenda: https://indico.cern.ch/event/646629/.
  • HEPiX Fall 2017 meeting will be held at KEK, Tsukuba, Japan, from 16th to 20th October. HEPiX registration page: http://hepix-fall-2017.kek.jp/registration.html.
  • Chris B: Gotcha when upgrading ArcCEs to htcondor 8.6
  • EGI: new nagios probes appdbsync and OCCI-Categories for testing cloud services
  • Dan: cvmfs versions. It seems others are running 2.3 and 2.4 versions.
  • LSST: submission from panda is now working at Lancs, Manc and RAL. The plan (only sketched for now) is to run a data challenge. GridPP is behind this and said we should give a high priority to this effort. At the moment the initial plan is to use 16,000 cores for a month. This is a significant chunk of resources and will require organisation and much testing to get it running smoothly. Though using panda LSST doesn't have all the resubmission features ATLAS has, they also use the storage tools slightly differently privileging xrootd which is not as well supported as gridftp.

Monday 5th June

  • Migration of the UI/WN tarball repositories.
  • EGI RP/RC A/R Report available. UK is fine but dropped in April.
  • Tier-1 noted pool accounts for "quiet" VOs. The question, is it worth spending time getting the VO active:
    • camont - no. This collaboration ended some years ago.
    • cdf - no
    • dzero - no
    • esr - no, but they might.
    • magic - no, but they might
    • neiss - no
    • supernemo - They will be soon. Discussions started.
  • Winnie: Pool account UIDs/GIDs. Looks like it is best to work towards having consistent pool accounts.
  • lusc-gridpp mailing list for LSST now created. A while back Alessandra also set up a wiki page for LSST.
  • Alastair: Site feedback for network session at WLCG workshop.
  • The EMI repositories will be shut down on the 15th of June 2017. You should be on the preview repo now. h Third party repo is here.
  • 29th May: EGI Trust Anchor release 1.83-1.
  • Two WLCG ops meeting reports to review: 29th May and 5th June.

WLCG Operations Coordination - AgendasWiki Page

Tuesday 11th July

  • Agenda from Thursday's WLCG ops coordination meeting.

Tuesday 4th July

  • There will be a WLCG ops coordination meeting this week on Thursday at 14:30 BST. Agenda. The theme is 'providing reliable storage'. Minutes will be available.

Monday 5th June

  • The next meeting in this series is 6th July (i.e. after the workshop).

Monday 22nd May

  • WLCG ops coordination took place last Thursday with a theme of "providing reliable storage" : Agenda | Minutes.

Tier-1 - Status Page

Tuesday 11th July A reminder that there is a weekly Tier-1 experiment liaison meeting. Notes from the last meeting here

  • The SOAP interface to the FTS3 service will be stopped on Monday 17th July. This will allow us to update FTS3 to the latest version.
  • The OPN link to CERN was upgraded to 3 * 10Gbit on Wednesday (28th June). So far so good.
  • EGI have announced withdrawal of support for the WMS at the end of 2017 (as announced elsewhere).
  • We are working to get jobs for LSST and LIGO running here. The VOs have been enabled before, but issues of actually running jobs successfully are being worked through.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Wednesday 05 July

  • Continuing the WLCG workshop follow up, specifically looking at accounting and inforamtion publishing.
  • On a related note, started looking at Swordfish again, more closely. Also provides REST-JSON API. Maybe we can do something Interesting(tm).

Wednesday 28 June

  • Lots of good blog posts!
  • Lots of good presentations and discussions at both hepsysman and the WLCG workshop. Even if we didn't finish all the things...

Wednesday 17 May

  • Lots of opportunities to contribute to WLCG workshop (if we could finish all the stuff we've got cooking)

Wednesday 19 Apr

  • Case for (re)testing CVMFS for T2s? (and non-LHC VOs?)
  • Other storage related issues arising from use of containers?

Tier-2 Evolution - GridPP JIRA

Tuesday 11 Jul

  • Cambridge Vac site now in production for LHCb. ATLAS and GridPP being set up.

Tuesday 4 Jul

  • Cambridge Vac site set up and being tested for LHCb.
  • GridPP DIRAC VMs using Pilot 3.0 now running at UCL, Imperial, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Oxford.

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Monday 16th January

  • The discussion topic for next week will be accounting comparisons. Please note Alessandra's comments last week.

Monday 14th November

  • Alessandra has written an FAQ to extract numbers from ATLAS and APEL avoiding the SSB.

Monday 26th September

  • A problem with the APEL Pub and Sync tests developed last Tuesday and was resolved on Wednesday. This had a temporary impact on the accounting portal.
Documentation - KeyDocs

Tuesday 4th July

  • A round of reminders is coming!
  • Need to ensure decisions captured regarding supported other VOs.

Tue 23rd May As part of the process of moving everything to Centos7 (or some other form of RHEL7), I've written up how we build nodes at Liverpool for our ARC/Condor system.


I hope it's also a decent cheatsheet for Puppet3/Hiera. It's a draft, and I need to put in some more details, but it should be usable.

Tue 7th Mar

I want to get rid of following stale docs...

  • Ten Easy Network Questions
  • GridPP Answers to 10 Easy Network Questions
  • SL5 status
  • Glasgow Middleware Operations Logbook
  • London Tier2 Shares
  • 23rd June 2010 Special Topic: NGS Technical Roadmap - Pete Gronbech
  • SAM availability: Monthly summary table
  • Transfer Tests Birmingham Endpoints
  • EVO Tips and Tricks
  • BaBar: bbrbsub270

Monday 13th Feb

  • Please check the keydocs page. Would all owners please review their pages and prepare a short note on how they will bring things up-to-date in the coming months. This will be discussed at a core ops meeting (poll to be circulated shortly).
  • There are several EGI operations document updates out for review. Please make comments to Jeremy by 20th Febraury for inclusion in the UK feedback:

Monday 30th January

The fusion VO has been removed from GridPP Approved VOs.

Monday 9th January

  • Tom put these together:
    • A snapshot of the GridPP UserGuide is now available as an offline document in the Zenodo repository:
    • ...and the v1.0 release of the LaTeX code used to compile it is here.
    • There are some minor differences (mainly hyperlink-related) to the online version [1], which has also had a v1.0 release here.

Tue 22nd Nov

  • More on Accounting audit tools

The process for ARC, Toque and VAC is now documented here.


General note

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Interoperation - EGI ops agendas

Tuesday 4th July

  • There was an EGI OMB last Thursday. Agenda.
  • Membership of the ops VO is being reduced.

Tuesday 16th May

  • There was an EGI ops meeting yesterday. Agenda.

Tuesday 2nd May

Tuesday 21st March

Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Tuesday 4th July

  • There were a number of useful links provided in the monitoring talks at the WLCG workshop in Manchester - especially those in the Wednesday sessions.

Monday 13th February

  • This category is pretty much inactive. Are there any topics under "monitoring" that anyone wants reported at this ops meeting? If not we will remove this section from the regular updates area of the bulletin and just leave the main links.

Tuesday 1st December

Tuesday 16th June

  • F Melaccio & D Crooks decided to add a FAQs section devoted to common monitoring issues under the monitoring page.
  • Feedback welcome.

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

6th June

  • There are issues with the ARC CE tests again, so the ARC sites have not have any results in days and the corresponding availability tickets are going nowhere.
  • New rota being compiled.

Tuesday 2nd May

  • Generally quiet. A few low availability tickets.
Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Monday 13th February

  • Please can we hear something from Raul and Sam (or others contributing to the middleware readiness work) about news in this area at the ops meeting next week? Thank you.
  • Does anyone want specific questions in this area tackled in a roundtable discussion?

Tuesday 7th December

  • Raul reports: validation of site BDII on Centos 7 done.

Tuesday 15th September

Tuesday 12th May

  • MW Readiness WG meeting Wed May 6th at 4pm. Attended by Raul, Matt, Sam and Jeremy.


Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 11th July

  • EGI SVG Advisory [TLP:WHITE] 'HIGH' risk - Stack clash memory allocation vulnerability CVE-2017-1000364 [EGI-SVG-CVE-2017-1000364] [1]
    • Update from Heads-Up of 21-June-17 - remains as HIGH risk.
  • pre-GDB on Containers (mostly Singularity) this afternoon [2]

Tuesday 4th July

  • No advisories issued this week.
  • Expect an update for EGI-SVG-CVE-2017-1000364 - Stack Clash - likely to remain as HIGH risk

Monday 26th June

  • Updated IGTF distribution 1.84 certificate authorities [3]
  • EGI CSIRT Heads-Up [TLP:AMBER] security incident reported from one site concerning compromised VM in EGI Fed Cloud
  • EGI SVG Heads-Up [TLP:WHITE] Stack clash memory allocation vulnerability CVE-2017-1000364 [EGI-SVG-CVE-2017-1000364] [4]
  • EGI SVG Advisory [TLP:WHITE] 'Moderate' risk - sudo local root vulnerability CVE-2017-1000367 [5]
  • EGI SVG Advisory [TLP:WHITE] 'HIGH' risk NSS out of bounds write flaw CVE-2017-5461[6]

Services - PerfSonar production dashboard |PerfSonar development dashboard | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update).

Tuesday 4th July

  • Pete C is preparing another networking forward look document. Note that figures presented in the Manchester workshop were for a Tier-2 (not always a single site).

Tuesday 6th June

  • An update from the DIRAC workshop? GridPP is still the only true multi-VO instance, so we will continue to see issues with this. release quality of dirac has improved within the past year. gfal2/EL7 problems seem to be coming to an end after being cooped up with all authors for 3 days on end. The Imperial GridPP module now has integrated testing. It was also noted that every dirac instance has it's own special module to adapt to their community on top of main dira. We are trying to push as much of out special functionality back into the main dirac branch.

Tuesday 25th April

  • perfSONAR version 4 was released on 17th April. Sites with auto-update on should have been automatically upgraded. Note perfSONAR 4.0 requires more CPU than previous versions as a result of some of the increased functionality. Full details here
  • Duncan has recreated the UK perfSONAR mesh. Link here!


Monday 10th July 2017, 16.00 BST
34 Open UK Tickets this week.

129383 (5/7)
A ticket to the NGI requesting explanation for Sussex's not stellar second quarter results. I contacted Jeremy and Leo, and got an out of office reply from the latter... In progress (10/7)

127767 (18/4)
Very much related, a availability/reliability ticket. Daniela noted last week that things too a turn for the worse - perhaps the machines rebelling with Leo away. On hold (6/7)

As noted in the ECDF ticket 129346 Perfsonar support for CentOS6 is likely to disappear at the start of next year. Perhaps we need an upgrade drive?

Talking of Edinburgh things, it appears that you're having SRM problems today, don't forget this (likely related) atlas ticket when you're done: 129452.

Update this Slater... (sorry for the pun)
I try not get get personal, but two tickets seem to be waiting for input from the ever busy Mark: This Birmingham ticket from Brian (which looks to have solved itself, so it's the best kind of ticket): 129441

And this LHCB ticket which you submitted to the Tier 1 is waiting to see if the problem is solved: 129059

But perhaps you're on a well-deserved holiday too?

Solid Tape Support
128991 (16/6)
Solidexperiment.org's request for tape at the Tier 1 has been semi-bounced back with a request for more details on the requirements. Useful to note if any other experiments start requesting tape. In progress (5/7)

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

29th November 2016

LSST monitoring is available through vo-nagios


13th September 2016

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table
Site Updates


Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Highlights from this meeting are now included in the Tier1 report farther up this page.

WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A