RAL Tier1 weekly operations castor 28/06/2019
1. Achievements this week
2. Problems encountered this week
3. What are we planning to do next week?
4. Long-term project updates (if not already covered)
5. Special topics
7. Review Fabric tasks
9. Availability for next week
Achievements this week
- Started deletion of LHCb data from lhcbDst
- Started repermissioning of SNO+ data in response to GGUS
- Renamed some MICE data in response to a request.
- Unscheduled Facilities downtime this week
- On Wednesday, Fabric intervened to replace a PDU board on rack 88 (which contains the Facilities headnodes)
- Also on Thursday (at about 11), an intervention was made on fdsclsf05 to replace some memory and fix the power supply
- At 11:12, networking connectivity was lost to many (but not all) Facilties machines.
- We believe this was related to someone jogging a network cable during the hardware intervention.
- Facilities admins raised the alarm and the Fabric team investigated.
- At 11:46, connectivity to all the machines except fdscstg05 came back.
- Fdscstg05 needed a new power supply on Friday; we think this was probably the reason for that machine's issue.
- After lunch, fdscstg05 was restarted and it started working again.
- We then tested the service and ended the downtime
- We also had problems this week with SRM transfers failing for CMS and LHCb
- Lots of transfers timing out and SAM tests failing.
- DB team also reported high DB load from the SRM
- Logs were full of activity from a particular T2K user.
- We think the problem was that this T2K user was treating the SRM very roughly and hitting it with a very many requests.
- When they were asked to stop the problem went away.
- More drives than expected down in Facilities during a busy period.
Plans for next few weeks
- Decommissioned lhcbDst; hardware awaiting retirement.
- Kevin has done some storageD functional tests with the new tape robot
- Brian C is currently testing StorageD/ET on the new robot
- Replace Facilities headnodes with VMs.
- Waiting until Kevin is back from holiday.
- Scheduled for the 30th July.
- Migration of name server to VMs on 2.1.17-xx is waiting until aliceDisk is decommissioned.
- CASTOR disk server migration to Aquilon.
- Need to work with Fabric to get a stress test (see above)
- Facilties headnode replacement:
- SL7 VM headnodes need changes to their personalities for the facilities.
- SL7 headnodes are being tested by GP
- Implementing DUNE on Spectralogic robot is paused.
- Migrate VCert to VMWare.
- Move VCert into the Facilities domain so we have a facilities test instance.
- AD wants us to make sure that experiments cannot write to that part of namespace that was used for d1t0 data: namespace cleanup/deletion of empty dirs.
- Some discussion about what exactly is required and how this can be actually implemented.
- CASTOR team proposal is either:
- to switch all of these directories to a fileclass with a requirement for a tape copy but no migration route; this will cause an error whenever any writes are attempted.
- to run a recursive nschmod on all the unneeded directories to make them read only.
- CASTOR team split over the correct approach.
- Problem with functional test node using a personal proxy which runs out some time in July.
- RA met with JJ, requested an appropriate certificate.
- Follow up with JJ or ST next week
- Everybody in
RA on call