RAL Tier1 weekly operations castor 07/06/2019

From GridPP Wiki
Revision as of 10:05, 7 June 2019 by Rob Appleyard 7f7797b74a (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Parent article

Standing agenda

1. Achievements this week

2. Problems encountered this week

3. What are we planning to do next week?

4. Long-term project updates (if not already covered)

5. Special topics

6. Actions

7. Review Fabric tasks

  1.   Link

8. AoTechnicalB

9. Availability for next week

10. On-Call

11. AoOtherB

Achievements this week

  • LHCb decommissioning ongoing.

Operation problems

  • ATLAS are periodically submitting SAM tests that impact availability and cause pointless callouts - Currently with TA
  • Last Thursday, a change to resolv.conf necessary to test the new Facilities CASTOR headnodes caused the production tape servers to go down.
    • This was an accidental change that wasn't supposed to go into production.
    • Proposal: Move VCert into the Facilities domain so we have a facilities test instance.
    • Question over the quality of the monitoring - the CANBEMIGR test caught the problem, but didn't make a ticket. Also drives were UNKNOWN rather than DOWN so the drive test didn't catch them.

Plans for next few weeks

  • Examine further standardisation of CASTOR pool settings.
    • CASTOR team to generate a list of nonstandard settings and consider whether they are justified.
  • Castor tape testing to continue after the production tape robot networking is installed
  • Decommission lhcbDst then move them to wlcgTape
    • Agreed with Raja to keep the data in lhcbDst pool till the 7th of June (2 months after the last storage element was copied to Echo)
    • Agreed with Darren to actually do this on Monday.
  • Kevin has done some storageD functional tests with the new tape robot
    • He has a plan for CEDA to do this testing.

Long-term projects

  • New CASTOR WLCGTape instance.
    • Migration of name server to VMs on 2.1.17-xx is waiting until aliceDisk is decommissioned.
  • CASTOR disk server migration to Aquilon.
    • Need to work with Fabric to get a stress test (see above)
  • The task of moving gridmap-file functionality away from castor-functional-test1 is complete
    • RA to confirm with JA that the Echo Gateways have also been migrated.
  • SL7 VM headnodes need changes to their personalities for the facilities.
    • SL7 headnodes are being tested by GP
  • Implementing DUNE on Spectralogic robot is paused.
  • Migrate VCert to VMWare.


  • AD wants us to make sure that experiments cannot write to that part of namespace that was used for d1t0 data: namespace cleanup/deletion of empty dirs.
    • Some discussion about what exactly is required and how this can be actually implemented.
    • CASTOR team proposal is either:
      • to switch all of these directories to a fileclass with a requirement for a tape copy but no migration route; this will cause an error whenever any writes are attempted.
      • to run a recursive nschmod on all the unneeded directories to make them read only.
      • CASTOR team split over the correct approach.
  • Problem with functional test node using a personal proxy which runs out some time in July.
    • RA met with JJ, requested an appropriate certificate.
    • Follow up with JJ or ST next week
  • RA and DM to sit down to sort out storage metric question
    • Plan to create new metrics for GridPP6.


  • RA in Lyon Monday evening to Wednesday evening.
  • GP is back on the 24th.


On Call

RA on call