Operations Bulletin Latest

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bulletin archive

Week commencing Monday 7th December 2018
Task Areas
General updates

Monday 17th December

Monday 3rd December

  • DPM workshop 2019 - LHEP (Bern). 13-14 June 2019.
  • Weekly WLCG ops meeting minutes.
  • CERN announcement yesterday: "After an outstanding performance, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the accelerator complex and the experiments are now stopping for two years for major improvements and upgrading."
  • Next Tuesday there is a pre-GDB of the Authorization Working Group. Agenda.
  • Wednesday is the December GDB. Agenda.
  • UMD 4.8.0 was released on November 29th November.
  • Friday's GridPP technical meeting was on Testing and Deployment of HTCondor CEs.
  • Minutes from the November EGI OMB are now available.
  • Vip asked about: Preventing a VO running on a Worker Node

Monday 26th November

  • Winnie: a question about Site-BDII issues leads to long Rollout exchange. The short summary is.... [insert ops meeting comments]. Oh and LF also added "Hanging Top BDIIs" to the discussion and the EGI update.
  • Monday's ops minutes are available. Main item to note is the EGI update.
  • Simon asks: AMD worker nodes? Is there a wider discussion to be had on hardware purchasing at this time?
  • EGI Trust Anchor release 1.95-1 (see https://wiki.egi.eu/wiki/EGI_IGTF_Release for more details).

Monday 19th November

  • Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, RAL have created CE JSON files, there will be a discussion at the next WLCG Information System this week. https://indico.cern.ch/event/774735/
  • There was an EGI OMB last week | Agenda.
  • Schedule for T2K LFC migration agreed at technical meeting last week.
  • WLCG ops meeting | 12th Nov | 19th Nov.
  • October was a good month for T2 A/R. Final figures now uploaded.

Monday 5th November

  • Restarting Technical Meetings on Friday. Topics to be announced at the ops meeting.
  • ISGC 2019 Submission Deadline Extended to 19 November.
  • Winnie: LCG frontier-squid server, w/DNS alias - ok?
  • WLCG weekly ops notes from Monday 5th.

WLCG Operations Coordination - AgendasWiki Page

Monday 10th December

  • WLCG ops coordination meeting held Thursday 6th. minutes.
    • IPv6 deployment update
    • CentOS / CC7 timelines for lxbatch and lxplus
    • Container WG update
    • CREAM CE end of support is Dec 2020
  • Next meeting 7th February 2019.

Tuesday 4th December

Tuesday 30th October

  • The ops meeting is shifting to the 8th November.

Tuesday 16th October

  • There was an ops coordination meeting on 11th October: Agenda/slides | Minutes.
  • Next meeting is on 1st November.

Monday 8th October

  • There will be an Ops Coordination meeting this Thursday 12th: Agenda.

Monday 17th September

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting last Thursday. The minutes are now available and the presentations uploaded to this agenda page.
  • Highlights:
    • A report on EOS incidents, improvements and plans
    • DPM Storage Resource Reporting deployment TF introduction
    • CMS CRIC is deployed in production
    • Sites should upgrade perfSONAR to v4.1 on CentOS 7
    • The next meeting is planned for 11th October.

Tier-1 - Status Page

Tue 18th December Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (17/12/2018) is here.

  • Very smooth running over Christmas period.
  • 28th December, File System problem with one of the Squids, was fixed on 2nd Jan.
  • Problem with one of the ARC CEs, this seems to be intermittently impacting VOs. Currently under investigation.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Wed 05 Dec

  • Rucio update - towards a recommended data management thing?
  • IRIS needs a data lake? or distributed filesystem?

Wed 28 Nov

  • Round table update!

Wed 21 Nov

  • DPM sites: We are now not recommending not upgrading to DOME! unless you're using YAIM
  • More operational issues on IPv6 routed networks

Wed 14 Nov

  • Interesting operational issue switching ATLAS from SRM to xroot
  • Do we have a "data management solution" and if so, what does it look like?

Wed 07 Nov

  • More "data lake" and documentation
  • Progress with caching but need to watch access patterns

Tier-2 Evolution - GridPP JIRA

Monday 14th January

  • Separate problems with LHCb and ATLAS VM definitions being investigated

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Tuesday 6th February

Tuesday 30th January

Tuesday 24th Oct

Monday 16th January

  • The discussion topic for next week will be accounting comparisons. Please note Alessandra's comments last week.

Monday 14th November

  • Alessandra has written an FAQ to extract numbers from ATLAS and APEL avoiding the SSB.

Monday 26th September

  • A problem with the APEL Pub and Sync tests developed last Tuesday and was resolved on Wednesday. This had a temporary impact on the accounting portal.
Documentation - KeyDocs

Tuesday 18th September 2018

  • We need to flag documents that are obsolete and update our monitoring!

Tuesday 18th September 2018

  • Changes to Approved VOs: LZ record at Imperial now showing up in the portal (had been inserted as a special case until now.)

Tuesday 11th June 2018

Steve Jones is updating the User Guide with various mods that have cropped up since Tom Whyntie left (pending permission to edit GridPP website docs...)

Tuesday 11th June 2018

Approved VOs now contains two new SKA VOMS servers (at Oxford and Imperial, as well as Manchester).


Tuesday 8th May 2018

  • Updating GridPP website certificate to avoid Chrome warnings

General note

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Interoperation - EGI ops agendas Indico schedule

Thursday 15 Nov 2018

  • Interesting discussion about UMD Product ID card
  • Information System/BDII future
    • Discussion about UK BDII plan and time line: Monitoring can be an issue

Monday 08 October 2018

  • Argo notification is working so sites can subscribe to notification by enabling notification from GOCDB

Monday 17th September

  • There was an EGI ops meeting on 10th September. The agenda page is here.

Tuesday 24 July

  • EGI OPS meeting on 16 July 2018, meeting agenda [1]
  • UMD 4.7.0 release

Recommend not to update CREAM issue with canl-java, in progress https://ggus.eu/index.php?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=136074

  • Does site requires MPI for Centos7? Is any site willing to support MPI for grid?
  • No meeting in August, next meeting on 10 Sep

Monday 2nd July

Monday 11th June

  • Meeting agenda : [2]
  • Upcoming releases relevant to UK sites
    • gfal2 major release(2.5.4)
    • Arc 5.4.2
  • Yearly review of information in GOCDB. UK ticket status is in progress. Should each site update the ticket?
  • Sites can enable ARGO notification through GOCDB. It can be done at site level or at the service level
  • Final call for WMS decommission. No UK WMS is in the list.
  • WebDav probes will be added to ARGO_MON_CRITICAL profile which means that unavailability of webdav will be added to A/R figures. All UK endpoints are passing the test at the moment
  • Next meeting 9th July

Monday 14th May

  • Next meeting June 11th

Tuesday 24th April

  • The next EGI OMB is on 3rd May

Tuesday 6/3

Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Tuesday 4th July

  • There were a number of useful links provided in the monitoring talks at the WLCG workshop in Manchester - especially those in the Wednesday sessions.

Monday 13th February

  • This category is pretty much inactive. Are there any topics under "monitoring" that anyone wants reported at this ops meeting? If not we will remove this section from the regular updates area of the bulletin and just leave the main links.

Tuesday 1st December

Tuesday 16th June

  • F Melaccio & D Crooks decided to add a FAQs section devoted to common monitoring issues under the monitoring page.
  • Feedback welcome.

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

Tuesday 14th August

  • A couple of new availability tickets (QMUL and Lancaster), both for well-publicised reasons. Otherwise quiet. AM on shift this week.

Tuesday 12th June

  • Four availability tickets still open. One ticket on hold at RAL as they are figuring out that how to deal with castor publishing issue.
  • Dashboard struggled during the week and it was slow but now it seems to be OK.
  • One Bristol ticket got stuck in weird state where it can not be deleted from dashboard although it has been solved.

Monday 21st May

Monday 5th March

  • AM->GS. A quiet week last week.

Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Monday 20th November

Historical References

Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 4th December

  • Current Advisories
  • preGDB on Authz
  • SOC Workshop February 2019
  • Who uses 4.x kernels?

Services - PerfSonar production dashboard |PerfSonar development dashboard | OSG Networking and perfSONAR pages | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update).

Monday 10th September

Monday 2nd July

Monday 30th April

Monday 19th February

Please could sites upgrade their perfsonar hosts to CentOS7. Instructions are here. Current OS versions here.

  • Duncan has recreated the UK perfSONAR mesh. Link here!


Monday 14th January 2019, 14.30 GMT

40 Open UK Tickets this week.

T2K DFC Migration on DPMs
Liverpool: 138648
Oxford: 138647
Sheffield: 138649
Lancaster: 138365

A quick summing up of these tickets- to provide the information T2K need (namely adler32 checksums for files that don't already have them) it appears your DPM needs to be DOME'd. At Lancaster seem to be having the most luck with this so far so please feel free to prod me about it.

v6-looking transfer problems
Liverpool (lhcb): 138943 (19/12)
RALPP: (atlas): 139127 (10/11)

Whilst for different VOs there's a common theme to both of these tickets - it looks like the failing transfers are trying to use IPv6. Any thoughts?

Bristol LHCB Ticket
138402 (21/11/18)
Are the issues described in this ticket still happening? That might be a question for the VO rather then the site. (6/12/18)

Last Year's Tier 1 Tickets:
138665 (LFC access issues)
138500 (CMS transfer failures)
138361 (T2K DFC migration)
A quick note that none of these tickets have had an update from the site yet this year to indicate that they've been picked up again after the Holiday break.

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

Monday 20th November

Tuesday 18th July

  • Following our ops discussion last week, Steve will focus his tests on supporting the GridPP DIRAC area and decommission the other tests.

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table

Monday 20th November

  • Tom Whyntie has requested (and been granted) access to the GridPP VO to get some pipelines working for large-scale processing and analysis of MRI scans associated with the UK Biobank project.
  • All VOs in the incubation page being prompted for updates by the end of November (required input for OC documents).
  • QMUL (Steve L) is following up on the biomed MoU. GridPP want to be cited in research papers for the support our resources/sites provide.

Site Updates


Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Highlights from this meeting are now included in the Tier1 report farther up this page.

WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A