Operations Bulletin Latest

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Bulletin archive

Week commencing Monday 24th September 2018
Task Areas
General updates

Monday 24th September

Monday 17th September

  • The IGTF is about to release a regular update to the trust anchor repository (1.93) on Monday, September 24th 2018 (see RT).
  • A round of CERN account requests is due.
  • There was a GDB last week. Agenda.
  • The current status visible to WLCG on IPv6 deployment and issues is in <https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/WlcgIpv6%23IPv6Depl> this wiki page. We need to form an accurate UK picture and update the GridPP View by the end of September. Note the offer from JISC for Tim/Duncan to visit sites to assist with IPv6 issues.
  • EGI is running a user satisfaction survey for Federation Services. JC will complete this during the week and welcomes wider input. Areas: Services used; Overall satisfaction; Quality of service rating; Quality of documentation and support and suggestions for improving the services.
  • Sites publishing storage accounting: http://goc-accounting.grid-support.ac.uk/storagetest/storagesitesystems.html.

Tuesday 4th September

Tuesday 14th August

  • Draft WLCG T2 availability and reliability reports for July are now available.
    • ALICE
    • ATLAS QMUL 82%, Lanc 88%, Sheff 81%
    • CMS Bristol 84%
    • LHCb Sheffield 82%
  • EGI RP/RC A/R Report for July 2018
  • Notes from Monday's WLCG ops meeting are here.
  • Simon: atlas job filling up /var/cream_sandbox/atlaspil/ with huge log file.
  • Alessandra: files not available under DPM.
  • Dan: latest UMD updates for Cream CE and Worker nodes... the last release of UMD the SL6 version of Cream does not work
  • Steve: Deprecate SL6 ... when? LS2?
WLCG Operations Coordination - AgendasWiki Page

Monday 17th September

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting last Thursday. The minutes are now available and the presentations uploaded to this agenda page.
  • Highlights:
    • A report on EOS incidents, improvements and plans
    • DPM Storage Resource Reporting deployment TF introduction
    • CMS CRIC is deployed in production
    • Sites should upgrade perfSONAR to v4.1 on CentOS 7
    • The next meeting is planned for 11th October.

Monday 9th July

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting on 5th July. Minutes.

Monday 25th June

Monday 16th April

  • There was a meeting on 12th. Agenda | Minutes.
    • Balazs Konya is new in the role of WLCG Middleware Officer.
    • Next meeting 7th June.
    • Delay for submission of GGUS tickets for recalculation should be respected. It is 10 days after monthly drafts of the availability reports are sent around by WLCG project office. If the GGUS tickets are not submitted respecting 10 days delay, they are not accepted.
    • A/R recalculations will be accepted if they are relevant to the site MoU commitment or concern time ranges of sufficient length.

Tier-1 - Status Page

Tue 18th September Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (17/09/2018) is here.

  • Tier-1 have spent the last week in the process of trying to resolve the on-going LFC issues.
  • Our current understanding of the problem is that we have a corrupted LFC database. More correctly we believe a value (or values), within that database is causing an issue. We don't often see metadata showing a file-size of 18446744073709394047 bytes (yes, we think that's a yottabyte or two), and feel this may be causing some undesired functionality!
  • We have restored back to a version of the database that works with gfal-copy (i.e. doesn't throw the error people were encountering) and are now working out what's missing and corrupted between the latest working and rolled back version of the database.
  • This issue was successfully resolve with the removal of the GOCDB unscheduled down-time at 12:00BST 24/9/18.
  • A number of associated LFC tickets are also being worked on in parallel.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Wed 15 August

  • Updates on the forward view for GridPP6
  • Unfortunately Vidyo has been "upgraded" to VidyoConnect which has several work-hindering features.

Wed 08 August

  • Updates on the forward view for GridPP6 - storage technologies, future directions
  • Vidyo annoyances

Wed 01 August

  • IRIS
  • GridPP planning - hack day on DOME?

Wed 18 July

  • CHEP report
  • Updates on the forward view for GridPP6

Tier-2 Evolution - GridPP JIRA

Tuesday 3rd July"

  • "Universal" DIRAC VMs deployed in production for GridPP DIRAC and LHCb

Tuesday 26th Jun

  • LHCb Docker containers in production testing at Manchester
  • "Universal" DIRAC VMs for LHCb and GridPP in production testing at Manchester
  • These VMs include a fix for the LZ GFAL problems

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Tuesday 6th February

Tuesday 30th January

Tuesday 24th Oct

Monday 16th January

  • The discussion topic for next week will be accounting comparisons. Please note Alessandra's comments last week.

Monday 14th November

  • Alessandra has written an FAQ to extract numbers from ATLAS and APEL avoiding the SSB.

Monday 26th September

  • A problem with the APEL Pub and Sync tests developed last Tuesday and was resolved on Wednesday. This had a temporary impact on the accounting portal.
Documentation - KeyDocs

Tuesday 18th September 2018

  • We need to flag documents that are obsolete and update our monitoring!

Tuesday 18th September 2018

  • Changes to Approved VOs: LZ record at Imperial now showing up in the portal (had been inserted as a special case until now.)

Tuesday 11th June 2018

Steve Jones is updating the User Guide with various mods that have cropped up since Tom Whyntie left (pending permission to edit GridPP website docs...)

Tuesday 11th June 2018

Approved VOs now contains two new SKA VOMS servers (at Oxford and Imperial, as well as Manchester).


Tuesday 8th May 2018

  • Updating GridPP website certificate to avoid Chrome warnings

General note

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Interoperation - EGI ops agendas Indico schedule

Monday 17th September

  • There was an EGI ops meeting on 10th September. The agenda page is here.

Tuesday 24 July

  • EGI OPS meeting on 16 July 2018, meeting agenda [1]
  • UMD 4.7.0 release

Recommend not to update CREAM issue with canl-java, in progress https://ggus.eu/index.php?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=136074

  • Does site requires MPI for Centos7? Is any site willing to support MPI for grid?
  • No meeting in August, next meeting on 10 Sep

Monday 2nd July

Monday 11th June

  • Meeting agenda : [2]
  • Upcoming releases relevant to UK sites
    • gfal2 major release(2.5.4)
    • Arc 5.4.2
  • Yearly review of information in GOCDB. UK ticket status is in progress. Should each site update the ticket?
  • Sites can enable ARGO notification through GOCDB. It can be done at site level or at the service level
  • Final call for WMS decommission. No UK WMS is in the list.
  • WebDav probes will be added to ARGO_MON_CRITICAL profile which means that unavailability of webdav will be added to A/R figures. All UK endpoints are passing the test at the moment
  • Next meeting 9th July

Monday 14th May

  • Next meeting June 11th

Tuesday 24th April

  • The next EGI OMB is on 3rd May

Tuesday 6/3

Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Tuesday 4th July

  • There were a number of useful links provided in the monitoring talks at the WLCG workshop in Manchester - especially those in the Wednesday sessions.

Monday 13th February

  • This category is pretty much inactive. Are there any topics under "monitoring" that anyone wants reported at this ops meeting? If not we will remove this section from the regular updates area of the bulletin and just leave the main links.

Tuesday 1st December

Tuesday 16th June

  • F Melaccio & D Crooks decided to add a FAQs section devoted to common monitoring issues under the monitoring page.
  • Feedback welcome.

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

Tuesday 14th August

  • A couple of new availability tickets (QMUL and Lancaster), both for well-publicised reasons. Otherwise quiet. AM on shift this week.

Tuesday 12th June

  • Four availability tickets still open. One ticket on hold at RAL as they are figuring out that how to deal with castor publishing issue.
  • Dashboard struggled during the week and it was slow but now it seems to be OK.
  • One Bristol ticket got stuck in weird state where it can not be deleted from dashboard although it has been solved.

Monday 21st May

Monday 5th March

  • AM->GS. A quiet week last week.

Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Monday 20th November

Historical References

Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 24th September

  • New IGTF v1.93 now available

Tuesday 11th September

  • L1TF
  • Security Team meeting this afternoon

Services - PerfSonar production dashboard |PerfSonar development dashboard | OSG Networking and perfSONAR pages | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update).

Monday 10th September

Monday 2nd July

Monday 30th April

Monday 19th February

Please could sites upgrade their perfsonar hosts to CentOS7. Instructions are here. Current OS versions here.

  • Duncan has recreated the UK perfSONAR mesh. Link here!


Monday 24th September 2018, 15.00 BST
50 Open UK tickets this week.

VOMS 137342 (23/9)
T2K noticed a voms outage last night, which Robert fixed first thing. Just checking if things are back working for them now (and that little question of why they couldn't get proxies from the other two UK servers). Waiting for reply (24/9)

136687 (13/8)
This ticket was originally created to track a side issue invloving 3rd party transfers, but I've seen no chatter on it since the 17th of August (and that was me). Is it still relevant? In progress (17/8)

TIER 1 LFC issues fixed.
136884 (t2k)
136884 (t2k)
136884 (t2k)
137254 (ROD)
Just to point out some good progress it looks like the LFC has been fixed. Darren has kept on top of prodding the tickets too.

TIER 1 FTS ticket
136199 (18/7)
This LHCB FTS ticket hasn't had any input in it since August, is the issue still an issue? In progress (7/8)

124876 (17/11/16)
Any news on this old ROD/ECHO/gridftp test ticket, the most ancient of tickets? It actually looks like the error message has changed, which is something. In progress (23/7)

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

Monday 20th November

Tuesday 18th July

  • Following our ops discussion last week, Steve will focus his tests on supporting the GridPP DIRAC area and decommission the other tests.

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table

Monday 20th November

  • Tom Whyntie has requested (and been granted) access to the GridPP VO to get some pipelines working for large-scale processing and analysis of MRI scans associated with the UK Biobank project.
  • All VOs in the incubation page being prompted for updates by the end of November (required input for OC documents).
  • QMUL (Steve L) is following up on the biomed MoU. GridPP want to be cited in research papers for the support our resources/sites provide.

Site Updates


Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Highlights from this meeting are now included in the Tier1 report farther up this page.

WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A