Difference between revisions of "Operations Bulletin Latest"

From GridPP Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 191: Line 191:
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- ***********************Start T1 text*********************** ----->
<!-- ***********************Start T1 text*********************** ----->
'''2nd April 2019''' Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (01/04/2019) is [https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Tier1_Operations_Report_2019-04-01 here].
'''9th April 2019''' Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (08/04/2019) is [https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Tier1_Operations_Report_2019-04-08 here].
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- *********************************************************** ----->
<!-- **********************End T1 text************************** ----->
<!-- **********************End T1 text************************** ----->

Revision as of 09:49, 9 April 2019

Bulletin archive

Week commencing Monday 25th February 2019
Task Areas
General updates

Tuesday 9th April 2019

  • Any comments from ISGC?
  • ISGC also hosted the April GDB
  • Last week also had the IRIS FTF.
  • Any other meetings or announcements I missed?
  • Most importantly - remember to tell Alastair what you want for your tea at the GridPP42 collaboration dinner.

Tuesday 02 April 2019

Tuesday 27th March 2019

  • HOW HSF/OSG/WLCG workshop last week: https://indico.cern.ch/event/759388/
  • Reminder that GridPP42 registration closes next week: https://indico.cern.ch/event/780766/
  • Do people have anything they'd like to added to the agenda? Although you might need a shoehorn to fit anything in.
  • Provisional technical meeting this Friday@11am on HTCondor, and one is planned on EOS experiences soon(tm).
  • Anyone have anything else?

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Tuesday 5th March 2019

Monday 18th February 2019

Tuesday 12th February

  • DPM release - 1.11
  • Approved VOs: changes to BIOMED and ENMR
  • Simon: VAC with VM condor VM to support local batch jobs?
  • There is a GDB this week - agenda.
  • NGI Argus/Central Banning config (see DC message).
  • There was a WLCG ops meeting yesterday. Minutes are available.
  • HOW19 registration (early bird rate has ended). HSF-OSG-WLCG joint workshop.
  • A/R explanations for January: QMUL power outage; Bham now on EOS so SE tests fail; ECDF 80% LHCb??

Tuesday 5th February

  • The EGI RP/RC A/R Report for January 2019 is available. UKI overall fine. Bham and RAL-LCG2 may wish to examine their results.
  • A reminder.... Please could everyone think about their WLCG (and beyond) engagements and commitments and put anything of note in the wiki table here.
  • Notes from yesterday's WLCG ops meeting are available. Issues at RAL noted by LHCb.
  • It is CMS week this week.
  • In case missed here is Elena's ATLAS update:
    • https://ggus.eu/index.php?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=138033: singularity jobs failing at RAL. A job that Alessandra submitted still has a problem with the home directory. Ral is trying to fix it.
    • There was a power lost to a rack and the two storage nodes in it in Lancaster over weekend which cause a problem to ATLAS jobs. This was fixed on Monday.
    • Raul asked for srmless atlas transfers for Brunel. Elena is changing transfer configuration in AGIS but the jobs are still failing. Peter will look into this.
    • There was a discussion on lightweight ATLAS Grid sites @ADC weekly last week. Sheffield, Cambridge, Brunel, Durham, Bham and Sussex should become diskless sites.
  • There is an ongoing discussion about LSST jobs on GridPP resources that may be of wider interest. Their VOMS was down so the question was raised about using GridPP VOMS or setting up another VOMS in the UK to read its data from the SLAC instance.
  • The 9th DIRAC Users Workshop will be held in London 14. - 17. May 2019. Here is the registration link.
  • December's WLCG A/R final report is available at via this link.
  • The figures for January 2019 are now available and updates from 3 sites requested:
  • Simon G asks: VAC with VM condor VM to support local batch jobs? Has anyone done it??
  • EGI has started an HTCondor integration process and captures progress here: https://ggus.eu/index.php?mode=ticket_info&ticket_id=139377.
  • End of Support for CREAM-CE: The CREAM working group has announced that official support for the CREAM-CE component will cease at the end of the EOSC-hub project, i.e. in Dec 2020. The CREAM working group will be providing full support until the end of 2019, including one minor release already scheduled. During 2020 only security updates will be released.

WLCG Operations Coordination - AgendasWiki Page

Tuesday 9th April

Tuesday 26th March

Monday 11th February 2019

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting last Thursday. You can view the meeting notes here.
    • End of CREAM support Dec 2020.
    • Migration from CREAM to be discussed at the EGI conference 6-8 of May in Amsterdam.
    • Operational intelligence discussion (see slides).
    • Experiment updates (see ATLAS discussion on DOMA)
    • WG updates (few).

Monday 10th December

  • WLCG ops coordination meeting held Thursday 6th. minutes.
    • IPv6 deployment update
    • CentOS / CC7 timelines for lxbatch and lxplus
    • Container WG update
    • CREAM CE end of support is Dec 2020
  • Next meeting 7th February 2019.

Tuesday 4th December

Tuesday 30th October

  • The ops meeting is shifting to the 8th November.

Tuesday 16th October

  • There was an ops coordination meeting on 11th October: Agenda/slides | Minutes.
  • Next meeting is on 1st November.

Monday 8th October

  • There will be an Ops Coordination meeting this Thursday 12th: Agenda.

Monday 17th September

  • There was a WLCG ops coordination meeting last Thursday. The minutes are now available and the presentations uploaded to this agenda page.
  • Highlights:
    • A report on EOS incidents, improvements and plans
    • DPM Storage Resource Reporting deployment TF introduction
    • CMS CRIC is deployed in production
    • Sites should upgrade perfSONAR to v4.1 on CentOS 7
    • The next meeting is planned for 11th October.

Tier-1 - Status Page

9th April 2019 Report for the Experiments Liaison Report (08/04/2019) is here.

  • We are seeing high outbound packet loss (~1%), over IPv6. Investigations ongoing.
  • On Thursday 4th April, around half the containers (which run a job inside) restarted. This killed the job inside them, we do not understand the cause of this yet although it was on a particular subset of machines.
  • On Friday 5th April, gdss700 (LHCb) had a double drive failure and needed to be removed from production while it was being rebuilt. Will hopefully be returned to production later today. Still waiting on LHCb for DIRAc update to migrate to Echo. [UPDATE 9/4/19] - This server is now almost 3 drives out, all out. We are currently working on data recovery.
Storage & Data Management - Agendas/Minutes

Tuesday 09/04/19

  • Progress with xCache at Birmingham , ATLAS to use and test before other sites to try
    • ATLAS have two modes but "transparent cache" not use case for when a site has no storage, so investigating "Volatile RSE"
  • Site Storage Status & Satisfaction Survey
    • Please can remaining sites send responses to Brian Davies
  • New gfal-* rpms available
  • Request to discuss DPM at GRIDPP42

Wed 27 Feb

  • Report from HEPiX
  • Update on IPv6

Wed 20 Feb

  • There's a Rucio workshop next week, in Oslo
  • Data lakes and analytics facilities.

Wed 13 Feb

  • A summary of the summary of the summary of the Cloud Workshop at Crick
  • FTS bug causing files to disappear!

Wed 23 Jan

  • TLA-approved writeup
  • More on data lakes
Tier-2 Evolution - GridPP JIRA

Monday 14th January

  • Separate problems with LHCb and ATLAS VM definitions being investigated

Accounting - UK Grid Metrics HEPSPEC06 Atlas Dashboard HS06

Tuesday 6th February

Tuesday 30th January

Tuesday 24th Oct

Monday 16th January

  • The discussion topic for next week will be accounting comparisons. Please note Alessandra's comments last week.

Monday 14th November

  • Alessandra has written an FAQ to extract numbers from ATLAS and APEL avoiding the SSB.

Monday 26th September

  • A problem with the APEL Pub and Sync tests developed last Tuesday and was resolved on Wednesday. This had a temporary impact on the accounting portal.
Documentation - KeyDocs

Tue 2nd April 2019

Changes to Approved for DUNE (and LZ)

There is a new "Approved VOs" document showing new settings for DUNE. And, since both LZ's voms servers now show up in the EGI Portal, I've removed the (now spurious) entry for voms.hep.wisc.edu that was formerly being inserted by hand.


I've also created a new set of RPMs (each has all LSC, VOMS, and XML for one VO) for all approved VOs. See Approved VOs doc for details, version is 1.9.

Sites with DUNE services need to update using whatever method they employ.

Special note: Since voms1.fnal.gov changed yesterday, I've updated documentation for that right away. But voms2.fnal.gov remains as it is until 23rd April (3 weeks). I'll update documentation for that when it is closer. Staggering the updates like this gives a time margin, so any particular site can have at least one service properly configured at any time. But it does mean that two site updates are needed; one now, and one in three weeks. However, since it's sufficient for only one (of the two) voms servers to be configured properly, sites could save effort and wait until (say) 19th April, then update both at once. But I can't dictate what site admins should do. It's your call.


Tuesday 5th Mar 2019 New VOMs details for Biomed: https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/GridPP_approved_VOs

New VOMs rpms to match.


Tuesday 12th Feb 2019 Documentation done for HTCondor-CE apel accounting. https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/HtCondorCeAccounting

Tuesday 12th Feb 2019 New CA DN for Biomed


Tuesday 5th Feb 2019 For enmr, certificate of voms-02.pd.infn.it

New DN: /DC=org/DC=terena/DC=tcs/C=IT/L=Frascati/O=Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare/CN=voms-02.pd.infn.it, New CA_DN: /C=NL/ST=Noord-Holland/L=Amsterdam/O=TERENA/CN=TERENA eScience SSL CA 3

Please check approved VOs: https://www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/GridPP_approved_VOs

General note

See the worst KeyDocs list for documents needing review now and the names of the responsible people.

Interoperation - EGI ops agendas Indico schedule

Monday 11th March

Tuesday 12th February

  • There was an EGI ops meeting yesterday - Agenda. We were asked to review the IPv6 readiness information (see here). We should perhaps link in the GridPP IPv6 table for updates status.

Friday 1st February

Thursday 17th January EGI OMB meeting

  • CREAMCE to be out of support by Dec 2020
  • More effort to fix accounting issue of HTCondor CE

Monday 14th January 2019

  • No UK specific issue mentioned.
  • IPv6 readiness plan is going to be summarized at OMB.


Monitoring - Links MyWLCG

Tuesday 4th July

  • There were a number of useful links provided in the monitoring talks at the WLCG workshop in Manchester - especially those in the Wednesday sessions.

Monday 13th February

  • This category is pretty much inactive. Are there any topics under "monitoring" that anyone wants reported at this ops meeting? If not we will remove this section from the regular updates area of the bulletin and just leave the main links.

Tuesday 1st December

Tuesday 16th June

  • F Melaccio & D Crooks decided to add a FAQs section devoted to common monitoring issues under the monitoring page.
  • Feedback welcome.

On-duty - Dashboard ROD rota

Tuesday 5th February

  • Birmingham decommissioning of SRM and BDII still going on so tickets are on hold.
  • Few availability tickets on hold
  • Lancaster has WebDav ticket on hold which seems to be effect of DOME rollout

Tuesday 14th August

  • A couple of new availability tickets (QMUL and Lancaster), both for well-publicised reasons. Otherwise quiet. AM on shift this week.

Rollout Status WLCG Baseline

Monday 20th November

Historical References

Security - Incident Procedure Policies Rota

Tuesday 26th March

  • SSC
  • Future plans

Tuesday 12th March

For reference, EGI Security Policies:

Services - PerfSonar production dashboard |PerfSonar ETF | OSG Networking and perfSONAR pages | GridPP VOMS

- This includes notifying of (inter)national services that will have an outage in the coming weeks or will be impacted by work elsewhere. (Cross-check the Tier-1 update).

Monday 5th March

Monday 10th September

Monday 2nd July

Monday 30th April

Monday 19th February

Please could sites upgrade their perfsonar hosts to CentOS7. Instructions are here. Current OS versions here.

  • Duncan has recreated the UK perfSONAR mesh. Link here!


Monday 8th April 2018, 14.00 BST
38 Open Tickets this month.

139539 (5/2)
A ticket from Duncan regarding blocked perfsonar ports. The host is failing to talk to itself due to odd reasons. Any luck finding the time to look again at this? Duncan posted a few hints a month ago. In Progress (14/2)

140134 (11/3)
Atlas jobs seeing an "Unspecified grid manager error". The classic grid error. Prompted the discussion about atlas asking for jobs not to be killed due to using too much memory. Oxford have raised their default memory per job to 4GB (and they won't kill a job unless it uses 1.5 times that). Waiting to see if that fixes things. How does it look atlas side? Waiting for reply (2/4)

138647 (3/12/2018)
T2K DFC migration ticket. If I had left it a few hours this ticket would be closed, Kashif has successfully renamed the files without having to do anything DOMEy. Daniela is re-registering the files in the DFC and hopefully this will be sorted soon. In progress (8/4)

131615 (3/11/2017)
Oxford's IPv6 ticket. Kashif provided a light update last month, still not much movement but there are plans made. On hold (13/3)

140573 (4/4)
A request from biomed to update the .lsc information. Is this even relevant for your site anymore? Either way the ticket needs acknowledging (or straight up "not relevant to our site"-ing). Assigned (4/4)

140584 (4/4)
A ROD ticket for your cream CE Birmingham only has to not get these tickets. Looks like a simple lcg-CA (or whatever they're called these days) updated needed on your WN. As this ticket also hasn't been noticed I wonder if Mark was off work on the 4th? Assigned (4/4)

131612 (3/11/2017)
Birmingham's v6 ticket. Things were progressing nicely but slowly back in February. Any time to have any joy on this since then? In progress (5/2)

140151 (12/3)
LHCB jobs seeing "can't start new thread" errors. The problem isn't understood as far as I can see but it appeared to disappear on its own - on hold to see if it comes back. On hold (27/3)

140222 (15/3)
MICE DFC migration ticket. Daniela repoked to ask for an ETA on getting those checksums. In progress (15/3)

131611 (3/11/2017)
Glasgow's v6 Ticket. Any news in the last two months about why your v6 performance is pants? In progress (5/2)

131609 (3/11/2017)
Just a v6 ticket at Durham. Really could do with an update. On Hold (4/12/2018)

138649 (3/12/2018)
T2K DFC migration ticket. Elena is asking Kashif for his secrets in renaming DPM files. On Hold (8/4)

131608 (3/11/2017)
Sheffield's v6 ticket. Really, really, really needs an update. And probably putting on hold if there are no postive updates. In progress (30/10/2018)

131607 (3/11/2017)
Just the v6 ticket here. Please please can we get an update here? And again, if there is not positive news expected can it be set on hold too? In progress (3/12/2018)

139411 (30/1)
What's the plan for this biomed space token ticket? On hold (1/2)

138648 (3/12/2018)
T2K DFC migration ticket. The VO would like some folders just plain deleted to help clear things up. In progress (8/4)

131606 (3/11/2017)
Liverpool's v6 ticket. As we're at the start of a new FY are plans being formed for the new network upgrades? On hold (6/2)

139683 (14/2)
Not really a problem, the decommissioning ticket for the site's SL6 CE. Nice and by the book. In progress (12/3)

139101 (8/1)
ROD APEL-Pub alarm for UCL's VAC cluster. I think the site is a bit dead in the water here - has there been any news or progress? At last check Ben couldn't install ViaB so was stuck. In progress (4/3)

131603 (3/11/2017)
RHUL's v6 ticket. No news on this since January, is there still no news? Are the right people being prodded and poked? In progress (23/1)

140190 (14/3)
LHCB seeing FTS problems. After a lot of poking it seemed the problem went away after a few service and node restarts for unrelated reasons. Brian notices that the FTS monitoring is looking okay now - can this ticket be closed? Or do we want to watch it a bit longer? In progress (2/4)

140628 (8/4)
Atlas jobs failing because the work directory is too large (wait, what? Too much space?). Fresh in today - Dan is on the atlas cloud support list getting advice as I type. Assigned (8/4)

138364 (19/11/2018)
T2K DFC migration ticket. Daniela has repoked the ticket with urgency! In progress (1/3)

134573 (17/4/18)
CMS request to install singularity. Dan rolled this into the C7 migration, how's that going? On hold (5/11/2018)

138359 (19/11/2018)
T2K DFC migration master ticket.

140198 (14/3)
MICE DFC migration master ticket.

No real tickets at IC - just master tickets tracking other issues.

140619 (8/4)
CMS transfers of a file failing, due to a classic disk server down error. Raul is working to bring it back from the brink. In progress (8/4)

140223 (15/3)
MICE DFC migration ticket. Progressing nicely, just one more job to do (a big file move). In progress (8/4)

140598 (4/4)
Another CMS ticket due to the same server being down. In progress (5/4)

140599 (5/4)
LHCB data access problems. Restarting a castor server seems to have got things going again, can this ticket be closed then? In progress (5/4)

140577 (4/4)
Really a ticket to LHCB, George noticed loads of file requests coming in with no service class defined, which has the potential to cause issues. It is being looked at (Matt code for I scanned the ticket and got lost), as of Friday there still were a few files coming in with these symptoms. In progress (5/4)

140447 (27/3)
The ever vigilant Duncan spotted v6 outbound packet loss on the RAL perfsonar. Investigations went underway - any results? In progress (2/4)

140220 (15/3)
MICE DFC migration ticket. Daniela has batted questions at both the VO and the Tier 1 today, so it's still ongoing. In progress (8/4)

138665 (4/12/18)
MICE LFC problem ticket. With the progress on the previous issue I think this can be closed (to either solved or unsolved)? On Hold (30/1)

140589 (4/4)
A case of killed LHCB pilots at RAL. James confessed to an accidental docker restart across many nodes that could be responsible for the carnage. Some more investigation is being done, are jobs still being killed? In progress (4/4)

139672 (13/2)
No LIGO pilots running at RAL. Efforts were made but sadly no fruit was born from them - and there's been no news for a month. Is this being looked at offline? The last update from the VO had a pleading tone to it. In progress (5/3)

138033 (1/11/2018)
The old atlas singularity jobs failing ticket. This was closed for a while, but Alessandra has reopened the case - the last batch of tests revealed some issues with the RAL configuration. Reopened (6/4)

Tools - MyEGI Nagios

Monday 20th November

Tuesday 18th July

  • Following our ops discussion last week, Steve will focus his tests on supporting the GridPP DIRAC area and decommission the other tests.

VOs - GridPP VOMS VO IDs Approved VO table

Monday 20th November

  • Tom Whyntie has requested (and been granted) access to the GridPP VO to get some pipelines working for large-scale processing and analysis of MRI scans associated with the UK Biobank project.
  • All VOs in the incubation page being prompted for updates by the end of November (required input for OC documents).
  • QMUL (Steve L) is following up on the biomed MoU. GridPP want to be cited in research papers for the support our resources/sites provide.

Site Updates


Meeting Summaries
Project Management Board - MembersMinutes Quarterly Reports


GridPP ops meeting - Agendas Actions Core Tasks


RAL Tier-1 Experiment Liaison Meeting (Wednesday 13:30) Agenda Meeting takes place on Vidyo.

Highlights from this meeting are now included in the Tier1 report farther up this page.

WLCG Grid Deployment Board - Agendas MB agendas


NGI UK - Homepage CA


UK ATLAS - Shifter view News & Links

Atlas S&C week 2-6 Feb 2015


• Prodsys-2 in production since Dec 1st

• Deployment has not been transparent , many issued has been solved, the grid is filled again

• MC15 is expected to start soon, waiting for physics validations, evgen testing is underway and close to finalised.. Simulation expected to be broadly similar to MC14, no blockers expected.


• Rucio in production since Dec 1st and is ready for LHC RUN-2. Some fields need improvements, including transfer and deletion agents, documentation and monitoring.

Rucio dumps available.

Dark data cleaning

files declaration . Only Only DDM ops can issue lost files declaration for now, cloud support needs to fill a ticket.

• Webdav panda functional tests with Hammercloud are ongoing


Main page

DDM Accounting




• ASAP (ATLAS Site Availability Performance) in place. Every 3 months the T2s sites performing BELOW 80% are reported to the International Computing Board.





  • N/A
To note

  • N/A